Thai desserts are called 'kanom' in Thailand. Sticky rice and mango is a marketplace favorite and not to be missed if you visit the country! It is my favorite!
Ingredients:2 cups glutinous (sticky) rice, soaked in cold water for at least one hour and drained
2 cups coconut milk, canned or freshly prepared
A pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of sugar
2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced
- In a saucepan bring to a boil: rice, 1 1/4 cups coconut milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 1/4 cup water. Stir.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, about 8-10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a steamer or double saucepan and steam 15-20 minutes over boiling water, until rice is cooked through.
- While rice is cooking, take the rest of the coconut milk (3/4 cup) and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and bring to a boil. Then remove and place in separate bowl for garnish.
- Mold the cooked rice into individual ramekins or small cups lined with plastic wrap. Cool to room temperature.
- At serving time unmold onto a plate and top with mango. Drizzle with coconut milk mixture you made earlier.