Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Koh Samui, Thailand – Snorkeling

Snorkeling
Koh Tao & Koh Nangyuan are popular islands for snorkeling. Book these in advance through your hotel or the tour company directly, and don't be ashamed to ask for a better rate, because it is all about bargaining. Tours leave early, and provide a light breakfast.



Up close and personal

Generally, the tours include both islands, as well as lunch on Koh Tao, or "Turtle Island." We had a fabulous time. Be sure to take your underwater camera because there is a potential for some great shots. The tour guide will give you bread to feed the fish and they will eat it right out of your hand. You can feel their tiny little mouths. Fun, but a little scary too.



A view from Koh Nangyuan

Koh Nangyang has a very unique three-strand beach, which was formed by the ocean's current interacting with the three small islands. There is a resort on the island, Nangyuan Island Dive Resort, if you are interested in spending more time there.


Snorkeling at Koh Nangyuan

The tours will include a life vest and all snorkeling equipment, but feel free to bring yours because the equipment provided is very worn. You have the option of using a life vest, but the water is so salty that you float well. Our instruction, Liam, took us on little tours and pointed out different fish by using hand signals. He then had a book to show us pictures of the fish with the names. It was crazy to see the fish that we had just been swimming with!


Hungry fish loving the bread

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no substitute for personalized attention. I traveled to Nepal to visit Everest Base Camp. I traveled alone and had certain trepidation about traveling on my own, but I also knew I wanted to escape the pressures of trekking in a large group. Altitude and safety are paramount on mountain treks and I did not want to end-up hyperventilating trying to keep-up with faster, fitter, trekkers.
Even though, I have altitude experience, I relied heavily on my guide's advice regarding what to eat, pace, and hydration. I have climbed and summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro, so I was confident I could complete this trek, but nothing can prepare you for the terrain of the Hymalayas. it is truly a humbling experience.
Mr. Adhikari came highly recommended by other trekkers, who were only too willing to write positive and detailed letters of recommendation. I found that all their recommendations were more than true. Mr. Adhikari has been to Everest Base Camp more than 50 plus times, as a woman traveling alone, I found his level of professionalism refreshing. I cannot count the times, Mr. Adhikari truly saved me from my inexperienced trekking self. Anything from ensuring I would.
not be run over by a Yak, horse, or donkey to keeping me focused on the difficult terrain, and somehow ensuring I stopped long enough to enjoy the scenery (in spite of my exhaustion). I shudder to think what my trek would have been like if I'd been just another trekker in a large group. I have to comment that I have never been so healthy-stomach wise at altitude.
Mr. Adhikari explains that when organizing for larger groups, he makes provisions for trekkers like me who tend to walk at a slower pace. I thought for sure that, this time, my ambition had superseded my ability, but thanks to Mr. Adhikari, my long time dream of seeing Everest Base Camp first hand came true. I was able to spend time in the rarified air and observe camp life, took plenty of pictures, and asked Mr. Adhikari numerous questions about his experiences around the area.
I was very aware of the economic implications of traveling with a Nepali Operator vs. a foreign trekking company. I wanted my trip not to only be a self-serving adventure, but numerous travel books suggest that traveling with a Nepali Operator does ensure more of the money goes and stays into the Nepali economy. I was unsure how the whole experience would unfold, but I am staying here and going to Annapurna Base Camp with the same operator. Mr. adhikari seems to be grounded on the mountain community ad well as in Kathmandu. It was reassuring to see he has good and long standing relationships with other guides and the mountain community.
Visited April 2012.
email-:sanjib-adhikari@hotmail.com
www.hikehimalayas.com
www.nepalguideinfo.com
Mobile 9779841613822